Monday, November 25, 2013

High Blood Pressure=Bed Rest for Mommy!

At 36 weeks, I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was high.  The first time she took my blood pressure it was 140/100.  She told me to rest for 10 minutes, then she would come back to try it again.  Sure enough, she came back and it was 170/100.  The doctor ordered me to go to the hospital to get a Non-Stress Test.  The purpose of the test is to check the baby's heart rate and monitor my blood pressure to see if it would go down with rest.  Before leaving the doctor, she checked me and I was dilated to 2 centimeters and 75% effaced, so my body was definitely preparing to meet our little bundle of joy.  She told me that if my blood pressure would not go down soon, be prepared to have the baby.

I immediately called Josh to let him in on the news.  He left work right away and headed up to the hospital. My mom drove me over to Lake Pointe Medical Center, helped me get checked in, and waited as they set up the Non-Stress Test and took blood for labs.  Josh arrived about one hour later, overwhelmed with nervousness for my health.  After a few hours of monitoring me and Baby Saenz, the doctor ordered me to begin bed rest immediately.  She told me to stay on bed rest until my appointment the following week.

After leaving the hospital, I contacted my work to let them know I would be out of work for at least one week, then sent all emails necessary to get me through the next week off.  I was stressed because I needed to ensure my students would be alright without me, and my substitute would have everything needed to cover my classes.  Everyone assured me they would take care of everything, and insisted I didn't need to worry about anything but myself and the baby.

The next week was full of naps, lots of t.v. shows, and mentally preparing to become a Mommy.  My mother in law is a Labor and Delivery nurse; she told me there was a big possibility if my blood pressure didn't go down over the next week, the doctor would take the baby because 37 weeks is considered full term, meaning the baby is fully developed.   My sister and mom came over to pack my suitcase and the baby's diaper bag so I would be prepared at the next appointment in case the doctor decided she wanted to induce.



No comments:

Post a Comment