Monday, November 25, 2013

After leaving the OBGYN, we began to call all our friends and family to let them know Baby Saenz would be here soon.  The doctor told me, the medicine would begin the process, and the baby would be here more than likely the next afternoon.  We called Josh's mom, Lisa, and she was able to get a flight out two hours later.  My parents went and got Josh and I some dinner before leaving to pick up Lisa from the airport. 

November 5, 2013
Today is our anniversary.  We had the awesome opportunity to celebrate two years of marriage in the hospital awaiting our precious Baby Saenz!  

4:30pm-I was admitted into the hospital to begin induction.  










7:00pm-My nurse, Joyce, came in to begin an IV so she could start pumping my body with fluids to ensure I would not get dehydrated.  She tried the IV once on my left hand, but the vein collapsed.  Then, she tried on my right hand.  OUCH!  Joyce dug in my vein for a good two minutes, until my hand swelled so much, she had to quit trying.  I asked, "Is it too early for the epideral?"...I don't think she appreciated my humor.  ;) She finally got another nurse who was able to start the IV in my left forearm.  This was an uncomfortable place for an IV, but I was just happy she found a good vein and we could get the process rolling.  

8:30pm-Joyce came and gave me my first Cytotec pill.  I would take a pill every two hours until dilated to 5 centimeters.  The pill is used to help induce labor in a more natural way.  She warned me that once I began the pills, I would begin feeling contractions and cramping. Right after starting the medication, Josh's mom arrived at the hospital with my parents.  Soon after, my grandparents came to visit, and Josh's brother, Bryan arrived from College Station.  Everyone was super excited, but the nurse assured them that nothing would happen until the following day.

10:00pm-Our family and friends decided to leave so I could get some rest, and made us promise to call immediately if anything happened throughout the night.  We promised we would.  

10:30pm-Joyce came and gave me an Ambien to ensure I got some rest, insisting I would need as much energy as possible the following day.  

3:30am-I began experiencing cramps and contractions, so Joyce gave me some pain medication to get me through the night.  Wow...that was some good stuff! :)

November 6, 2013
7:30am-Josh and I woke up with great excitement.  We would finally meet Baby Saenz today!!  

8:00am-Joyce told me that the anesthesiologist had two scheduled c-sections lined up.  She couldn't promise when he could come give me an epidural if I waited, so she suggested I get it sooner rather than later to ensure I got one.  

8:30am-The anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural.  I was a little nervous from all the horror stories I've heard, but this was a piece of cake.  Joyce instructed me to lean over the table and stay as still as possible.  Josh held my hand while the process began.  There was a small stick (like a bee sting), then my back was numb in one area.  The anesthesiologist placed the larger needle in my spine which numbed me from the legs down.  This was a weird sensation, but I was happy to know I wouldn't feel any pain throughout the day, and could just enjoy the experience.  

9:00am-Our family and friends began to arrive at the hospital to support us on this blessed day.  They began to place bets on whether Baby Saenz was a boy or girl and what time I would have him/her.







12:30pm-Joyce came in to check if I had dilated any further.  At this point, I was dilated 6 centimeters.  She decided to turn me on my side, which helps the dilation process.  Once I flipped to my side, it made me a little nauseous, but I never got sick.  All my family decided to leave the room, so Josh and I could have a little time to ourselves.

1:15pm-After trying unsuccessfully to rest, I told Josh that I was experiencing a lot of pressure, and felt as if the baby was ready to come.  I hadn't felt this feeling before and knew something was happening.  He went to get Joyce, but she was downstairs eating lunch.  He found the nearest nurse who came in and told me that sure enough, I was fully dilated and thinned.  It was time to begin pushing.  Josh went downstairs to tell the family, and get my sister, mom, mother in law, and friend, Lauren, who was taking pictures of our special day, so they could come in the room to watch as I gave birth.    
1:45pm-Joyce wanted me to take a few practice pushes while we waited for my doctor to arrive.  She was about 10 minutes away.  After three practice pushes, the baby was well on his/her way out.  I was a good pusher apparently! :)  Joyce told me I couldn't push again until Dr. Potter arrived because the baby was almost out.  

2:00pm-Dr. Potter arrived.

2:09pm-I pushed two more times and Baby Saenz was here.  Dr. Potter yelled, "It's a GIRL!!".  We all screamed with shock and excitement.  Everyone cried tears of joy.  I pray I never forget the look on Josh's face during this moment as he looked down at me, full of joy and happiness of the arrival of our precious daughter, Mila Ann Saenz.   

Mila weighed 6lbs 3oz and was 19.25in long.  She was PERFECT!!  





As the nurse laid her on my chest and let me hold her for the first time, it was truly love at first sight.  There are no words to express the feeling of bringing a beautiful baby into the world.  We are so excited and in love with our new baby.  Mila is this tiny, perfect gift entrusted to us by God. 













Proud Parents, 
Josh and Hope  

No comments:

Post a Comment