Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We're Going to Be Parents!!

It's been a while since I've written. We've had a very busy year! Let's see...Last summer, we went to Jamaica with our friends, Marty and Amanda, Josh went to Vegas for a work trip, and I went to Mexico with the Mireault girls. There have been several weddings, baby showers, etc. over the past year. We have watched our nephews grow, made memories with friends, and spent great time with our families. For Christmas, our family decided to forego gifts and go on a family ski trip instead. We went to Virginia; it was such a great week of skiing and making memories with our family. This spring, I went to NYC with friends, my cheerleaders competed at cheer camp, and Josh and I have taken lots of weekend trips to visit friends. Though we've been busy, we never forget how truly blessed we are. We have made many road trips, and love to travel together. In October of 2012, I went to my female doctor after having severe cramping in my abdomen steadily for about two weeks. They did a sonogram and I was diagnosed with Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I can remember the feeling of confusion and sadness as my doctor handed me a pamphlet over PCOS, and went on to explain what all options I had as far as getting pregnant. A natural conception would not be in our future. Because of PCOS, my ovaries were surrounded with cysts. She explained it as a pearl necklace laced around the inside of each ovary. I would not ovulate on my own because my body did not drop an egg each month; it creates cyst instead. Luckily my mom was with me that day. Her mother's intuition told her to meet me up there. I insisted she did not need to go. I had no idea anything would be wrong, or I would have asked Josh to come. But, I was thankful for her presence. She wiped my tears as I cried and assured me everything would be okay. As soon as I got in my car, I called Josh. I cried as I tried explaining what just happened. He felt terrible he had not gone with me, and rushed out of work to meet up with me. When he got home, he held me and told me that we would do whatever it takes to become parents. Nothing, not even PCOS, would stop that. We looked at the pamphlets, researched the options, and decided I would take an ovulation medicine called Clomid. This medication would help me ovulate, and we could hopefully get pregnant within the first three months. If not, we'd move on to more extensive options. The only downfall of Clomid is that it can cause large cyst, on top of the ones I already get every month. This journey would be a lot of work, but hopefully worth it. I would start off with Provera, which would jump start my period. On day 5 of my period, I had to begin taking Clomid for the next 5 days. On day 18, they would take blood work to make sure I ovulated. Day 35 was a pelvic exam and sonogram to check for larger cysts. The first month consisted of so many appointments, but I stayed positive and reminded myself there was no need to stress. The doctor called with blood work results, and I had ovulated. Yay!! The Clomid had helped. After being 9 days late on my period, I couldn't help but become excited that I was pregnant. However on the day of my appointment, I started my period. I cried with disappointment. Josh and I went to my appointment later that day, and they ordered a sonogram. The sonogram would show I had a 3 centimeter cyst on one of my ovaries, and would have to wait at least 6 weeks before trying the Clomid again. More bad news. As we walked out of the doctor's office, I cried and Josh assured me that it was our first try; we would get pregnant next time...or the next if that's what it took. So, after waiting patiently, I went back in for a check up exam. The sonogram showed the cyst had gone away on it's own. However, I had to wait a few more weeks to start my period on my own, then I could begin round 2 of Clomid. After those few weeks, and a check up, I was released for round 2. Here we go again! This month I ovulated even higher than the last month. That was a relief. After the pills, blood work, and appointments back and forth, I missed my period again. I hated to get my hopes up, but it was extremely hard not to. I took a test...negative. Because of the negative test, I needed to make another appointment to go in, and start the process over. When I called the doctor, the receptionist told me to take a First Response Test (she swore these are the best), and then call the next day. I was already on my way to Wal-Mart when we hung up the phone, so I figured it was a perfect opportunity to grab a test. I got home, took the test, and put aside any expectations I had of it being positive. I had a negative just 24 hours previous. However, when I walked back into the bathroom to check the test, there were two lines. Two lines=pregnant. WHAT!! No way. I grabbed another test out of the box and took it too. It was positive as well. What was going on? How was last night's negative, and tonight's positive? I called Josh to see when he would be home. I wanted to tell him in person. He was about an hour away. I cleaned the kitchen, swept the floor, checked the tests again, and paced around until I heard the garage door open. My heart was racing. As he walked in, I told him to close his eyes and that I had a surprise for him. He closed his eyes, I grabbed the two test, then told him he could open them. His eyes opened, and he was elated. He asked me over and over if I was positive. We were both skeptical. I called the doctor the next day, made an appointment, and got a confirmation at the doctor. Later that night, we shared the news with our parents and siblings. Then, decided to keep our good news a secret for the next few weeks, until we were out of our first trimester. In those weeks, we got to see our sweet baby, and hear it's heartbeat twice.


 We call it our little "Pappito"! Looking forward to motherhood, Hope (Mama) Saenz

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your lil growing family,we will be praying all is well.

    ReplyDelete